PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Library Expert > Product Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simultaneously generate L, N, and M density

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LaserAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simultaneously generate L, N, and M density
    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 4:39pm
I would love to see a checkbox in the export / script generation window that would generate all three footprint densities (Least, Nominal, Most) in a single output script.  This would make it much easier to provide all three footprints at once when creating a new component into Altium Designer.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:18am
Would you mix L, N and M in the same PCB library?
Stay connected - follow us! Twitter - LinkedIn
LaserAlex View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaserAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 9:21am
Yes, I would keep them in the same library, with each schematic component pre-assigned to be able to use all three options.  That is how Altium's on-demand library parts work and I like the effect.

I start the layout with the N part for most designs, or M for high-reliability.  But if I find myself caught in board size constraints I can change parts down to L (or from M to N) in the schematic or board layout without needing to replace the schematic component with one from another library.

Of course you have more experience than a lot of us here, Tom, so if you suggest an alternate workflow I'd be happy to hear.

JamesHeadOI View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 11:57pm
Yes, I too would use such a feature though I wouldn't place it as a priority.
I always output all three, N, M and L at the same time and import into the same footprint library for Pulsonix to give me choice in designs.
I normally only use the N but in some portable instruments where space is tight I may make the decision to go down to L.
Generally I use M for those boards where there's a high likel hood that they are going to be hand-soldered as a prototype/development board or even a production board where only a handful are going to be required each year and it again is going to be hand-soldered.
 Post Reply Post Reply