PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Library Expert > Product Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Automatic STEP Mapping for OrCAD PCB / Allegro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kwgilpin View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kwgilpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automatic STEP Mapping for OrCAD PCB / Allegro
    Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 12:29pm
It would be great if the OrCAD PCB / Allegro output translator automatically handled the association of the STEP model with the footprint when building the model and footprint.

It is annoying to have to perform the mapping myself for every component.

Can you investigate including this in a future version? 
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 2:41pm
The problem I have is that a lot of versions of OrCAD PCB / Allegro don't come with the STEP functionality at all.

For instance: I use the Demo version of 16.6 to test all footprints and it doesn't include STEP Functionality. So it would need to be some sort of selectable option.

If you want, take a look at seeing if you can record the script needed to attach the STEP file to the finished part, and I'll see if I can work it in.

HenricE View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HenricE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2013 at 3:48am
I was wondering the same thing. I recorded a script that assigns the STEP model to the footprint:

# Allegro script
#    file: C:/svn/IPCOrCADLibrary/FPX/symbols/RESC1005X40N/map_step.scr
#    start time: Wed Nov 20 11:15:24 2013
#    Version: 16.6 S018 (v16-6-112BD) Windows 32
version 16.6

setwindow pcb
trapsize 684
generaledit
step pkg map
setwindow form.pkgmap3d
FORM pkgmap3d stplist RESC1005X40.STEP
FORM pkgmap3d rotation_x 90
FORM pkgmap3d save_current 
FORM pkgmap3d done 
setwindow pcb
generaledit

#    stop time: Wed Nov 20 11:15:39 2013

Another example:

# Allegro script
#    file: C:/svn/IPCOrCADLibrary/FPX/symbols/SOIC127P1030X265-16L87N/map_step.scr
#    start time: Wed Nov 20 11:38:51 2013
#    Version: 16.6 S018 (v16-6-112BD) Windows 32
version 16.6

setwindow pcb
trapsize 1358
generaledit
step pkg map
setwindow form.pkgmap3d
FORM pkgmap3d stplist SOIC127P1030X265-16L87.STEP
FORM pkgmap3d rotation_x 90
FORM pkgmap3d save_current 
FORM pkgmap3d done 
setwindow pcb
generaledit

#    stop time: Wed Nov 20 11:39:06 2013

The STEP model was "standing" on the side in the preview, hence the rotation_x 90. It seems to be the same with the SOIC above as well.

I was unsure what the "trapsize" command was and apparently it is a setting for the trap box size when using pick commands and changes based on zoom factor. The documentation recommends setting it to 0:

"If you generate scripts manually, place a "trapsize 0" at the start of a script to ensure that it replays independently of a design's zoom level."
HenricE View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenricE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 5:34am
I'd like to add to this that the script should position it correctly as well. This won't be a problem if the origin is set to center of extent. I suppose it also depends on what the origin is for the generated STEP models. Below is a screenshot of the STEP Package Mapping window. So there are additional fields one can change to position the STEP according to the actual footprint.

In the example above the offset has been changed since the origin of the symbol now is pin 1 and the origin of the STEP is center of extents. So the following is added to the script:

FORM pkgmap3d offset_x 4.445
FORM pkgmap3d offset_y 4.6400

Another thing to note (though I suppose this one is up to the user) is that the STEP filelist is taken from the configured steppath which usually includes the current directory of the symbol drawing. This could mean that if the user does not place the STEP model in a directory accessible by OrCAD it will not appear in that list and hence cannot be selected.

Hope this helps!
 Post Reply Post Reply